What is ESOS?
The Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) is a mandatory energy assessment scheme for organisations in the UK that meet the qualification criteria. Qualifying organisations must carry out ESOS assessments every four years. These assessments are audits of the energy used by their buildings, industrial processes, and transport to identify cost-effective energy-saving measures. The third phase of the scheme must be completed by 5th December 2023.
Download our helpful guide and start preparing for ESOS phase 3 sooner rather than later.
ESOS Phase 3 timeline
We’ve helped many businesses and organisations to manage their audits and fulfil the necessary requirements for ESOS Phases 1 & 2.
The typical process for ESOS is as follows:
- Allocate Lead Assessor to the project
- Evaluate energy consumption and determine what audits are required
- Complete the necessary audits
- Compile energy consumption covering a 12 month period that includes the qualification date of 31st December 2022 and summarise the audit reports and energy data to the client
- Finalise report, obtain board level signoff and register relevant consumption data and report findings with the Environment Agency to ensure Phase 3 compliance before the deadline of 5th December 2023
Our Guide to ESOS Phase 3
For more information please fill out the form below to download our helpful guide to ESOS Phase 3.
Current qualification thresholds
The scheme is mandatory for all organisations in the UK who meet the following criteria.
- 250 or more UK employees OR
- An annual turnover in excess of £44 million and an annual balance sheet total in excess of £38 million
Corporate groups qualify if at least one UK group member meets the criteria above.
Do you qualify for ESOS Phase 3?
Qualifying organisations are advised to start the process of auditing as soon as possible, ahead of the 5 December 2023 deadline.
As one of the leading UK consultants, we have a wealth of experience in delivering a well-rounded and fully compliant service. We were among the first UK-based consultants to offer ESOS compliant Lead Assessors and have helped many businesses and organisations to manage their audits and fulfil the necessary requirements for ESOS Phase 1 & 2.
Get started today!
For more information about our ESOS compliance services, book a meeting with one of our experts.
Read our Latest ESOS Related News
Government consultation could lead to ESOS reforms
The government has launched a consultation, seeking views on proposed changes to the scope and scale of the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS). The measures aim to improve the uptake of energy efficiency measures and increase the benefits for participating businesses.
ESOS Phase 2 – is your organisation ready?
The Environment Agency recently announced that ESOS Phase 2 is currently underway, reminding large companies in the UK to assess their energy usage and submit results before the deadline of December 2019.